Of the Royal Corps of Signals
Bestowed by George V
Her Royal Highness, Mary, Princess Royal.
Her Royal Highness, The Princess Royal, Princess Anne of Edinburgh.
Colonel-in-Chief of the Royal Corps of Signals
The Royal Corps of Signals was formed in 1920 and will celebrate its centenary in 2020 but the first troop – C Telegraph Troop, Royal Engineers – commanded by Captain Montague Lambert RE – was formed in 1870. (The archive footage below, from 1970, references the centenary of the formation of C Telegraph Troop).
On 6th September 1935 the King honoured the Corps by appointing Her Royal Highness, Mary, Princess Royal and Countess of Harewood (Victoria Alexandra Alice Mary; 25 April 1897 – 28 March 1965) – to be its Colonel-in-Chief.
Today Her Royal Highness, The Princess Royal, Princess Anne of Edinburgh is Colonel-in-Chief to the Corps, having assumed the appointment in 1977.
A SnowCat, similar to the one driven by The Princess Royal on her visit to Blandford, is on display in The Museum.