Royal Signals museum – so much to see and do, fun for all
Virtual and interactive activities
Discover the secrets of the electromagnetic spectrum and more..
- Drive a full size truck through a virtual world
- SOS! Send and receive messages in Morse Code
- Direction Find (DF) The enemy position
- Guide a laser beam round a course
- Set up a radio and satellite network
- See how radio works
- Follow the wartime missions of Violet, Szabo and Odette
‘Ghost of the desert’, ‘Pink Panther’, an original Cable Wagon and ‘Monty’s Armoured Command Vehicle’ are just a few of the many exciting military vehicles on display – which will be your favourite?
On your bike?
Learn about the importance of the Despatch rider. The Museum is home to an exceptional collection of military motorcycles from 1914 to the present day.
What have camels, elephants and pigeons got in common?
They’re just a few of the very many animals that have assisted military personnel in war time. Find-out how they contributed and understand why some have been decorated with the very highest military honours and awards.
Explore Afghanistan – The Signallers’ War
Understand the importance of communications, science and technology – from headquarters to the front line – in modern day conflict. Learn how the Royal Signals play a crucial role in:
- Electronic Warfare (EW) – jamming, detecting, intercepting, attacking and impeding the enemy.
- Electronic Counter Measures (ECM) tricking and deceiving the enemy, jamming signals.
- Explosive Ordnance Disposal (EOD) – remote detonation of captured ammunition, weapons, explosives and IEDs.
Explore work done by the Royal Signals in recent military and humanitarian operations and think about the future.
Go behind enemy lines with the SOE
Ever wondered how secret agents were trained in WW1, or what it was like to be a secret agent with the Special Operations Executive (SOE) in France during WW2?
The Museum explains all, including the essential roles played by the men, women and animals who risked all.
- Learn how they were trained.
- See the weapons, equipment and survival aids.
- Test your strength: see if you could carry a briefcase hiding a 38lb+ transmitter – while pretending it has little more than pen, papers and a sandwich inside!
- Find out about Enigma, see an Enigma machine and learn about the role played by the Royal Signals in this groundbreaking technology.
- Crack that code – try your hand at some code breaking fun.
The Libyan Desert Taxi Service
Examine the elite forces exhibition – a key display that tells the story of the little known Long Range Desert Group who worked with the newly formed SAS, helping them parachute into then escape from, behind enemy lines.
Crack that code
This intriguing, interactive display retells the history of wartime codes and codebreaking via a series of interactive displays, fun trails and quizzes – we even have a genuine Enigma machine on display.
Take a break
Relax in our wonderful cafe…
Visit the Comms Cafe – a 1940s style NAFFI cafe with refreshing up-to-date brews including cappuccino’s, Expressos and hot chocolate – as well as the irrepressible NAFFI tea and mouthwatering meals and snacks. You might even spot a soldier or two!
Gather your souvenirs
Get kitted out in the latest camouflage and combats, buy Royal Signals memorabilia.
The museum shop has an extensive range of toys and gifts for all ages. But you don’t have to wait to visit to shop – you can buy online now at www.royalsignalsshop.uk/